Monday 8 July 2013

illustrator - cd label wrap


Dvd label – vector based
  • Pen – I drew a basic pistol and a bullet with the pen tool, I started with the gun and decided to have a bullet floating in the air because I thought it would look good with the genre of the film.




  • Type on a path – I copied the CD guides on my main document and applied them to a new document; I then used the eclipse tool and changed the fill to clear, I then had to draw the circle but to do this I had to hold down the shift and alt keys down whilst drawing the circle. I then had to select the type on a text tool which was hidden in the text option in the tool bar, I clicked in a random area on the side of the cd and typed what I needed to type. See the end result below.




  • Place images e.g. age ratings – I added an age rating image of 18 because most films have them on the CD case and CD itself, I placed mine in the bottom left of the CD because I felt it was the best place for it to go.
  • Brushes – I used the brush tool to show the bullet had been fired and to show how fast the bullet was moving through the air. I also used the brush tool for scratch marks on the gun itself to show it had been used a lot.





  • Clipping mask – I made a clipping mask of a polygon and a circle, one blue the other grey, this was used for a logo to show that the cd is not fake. I struggled to make one to begin with because I didn’t really know how to make one but I looked it up a little and made one.
  • Guides – guides were already in the templates provided by adobe when you open a new document called “CD print items” I selected the CD and copied the guide to a new layer within a new document. I then deleted the template I downloaded because I didn’t need it anymore.
  • Layers with opacity – I changed the opacity of the background image to make the bottom of the CD look darker, this made the top of the CD easier to notice/read i.e. title and actors, this also made the film rating, gun and bullet look darker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment